If you have are dissatisfied with the appearance of your nose or have had breathing problems caused by your nasal proportions , rhinoplasty at Bajaj Plastic Surgery may be right for you. One of the most popular procedures today, nose surgery—also known as rhinoplasty, nose reshaping or nose job—can be done to improve both health concerns and physical appearance.
Dr. Anu Bajaj, a board-certified plastic surgeon, performs rhinoplasty in Oklahoma City to help patients achieve better facial proportions.
Benefits of Rhinoplasty
- Correcting a nose that appears too large on a face.
- Changing the look of a nasal tip that droops or plunges.
- A nose where there is a bump on the nasal bridge when viewed in profile.
- A nose that appears wide when viewed from the front.
- Adjusting a bump on a nasal bridge for profile views.
- Correcting excessively flared nostrils.
- Adjusting crooked noses.
- Correcting nose injuries.
- Correcting breathing problems.
Rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure that is typically performed under general anesthesia (meaning that you are asleep for the procedure) and is an outpatient procedure (meaning that you go home after the surgery).
Dr. Bajaj will perform your surgery using two possible approaches – open or closed — that will raise the soft tissues that cover you nose. This will allow Dr. Bajaj access to reshape your nose structure:
- Closed procedure – Incisions are hidden inside your nose.
- Open procedure – Incisions are made across the columella, or the narrow strip of tissue that separates your nostrils.
During the reshaping of the nose, Dr. Bajaj will either reduce or augment your nasal structures, depending on your individual needs. If augmenting, she will use cartilage grafted from other areas of your body, including your septum, the partition in the middle of the nose, and—in unique situations—the ear or a section of the rib cartilage.
If your septum is deviated, it will now be straightened with he projections inside your nose will be reduced to improve breathing.
Once Dr. Bajaj sculpts your nose into a desired shape, she’ll close the incisions. If you desire a change to your nostrils, she’ll alter them at this point by making additional incisions in your nose’s natural creases.
After a rhinoplasty, you will have a splint on the bridge of your nose to hold tissues into place until they have stabilized and a possibly a splint or packing inside your nose. Following surgery, it is normal to experience bruising and discoloration, although this tends to dissipate within a week.
Most patients will be able to return to work within a week, but will need to avoid strenuous activities and contact sports for six weeks.